Michael and I opened the Brampton in 1987 and today the second generation, son Lucas and his wife Rachel Hanscom have joined the team. Back then shared baths were still acceptable. Thank goodness that is ancient history because today the guest experience at a Select Registry B&B or country inn surpasses that of many upscale chain hotels. Belonging to and being recognized by such an organization assures travelers of the quality they can expect. Select Registry started 45 years ago and the bar has been constantly raised by the expectations of our guests. To belong, each member inn agrees to be inspected anonymously. Keeps us on our toes! Here are a few facts you might want to consider next time you plan a getaway:
- Location: Select Registry inns and B&B’s are located in or near places of beauty and interest. Some are in metropolitan areas and all offer a fabulous alternative to big box hotels. The Brampton is located on 20 acres a mile from Chestertown, MD. We are very close to the historic shopping district, the Chester River, Washington College and fabulous restaurants. Technically it takes us only 1 hour and 20 minutes to the Baltimore or Philadelphia airports and 3 and a half hours to NYC but we are a world away. Time slows down on the Eastern Shore.
- Breakfast: It’s the second B in B&B and we take it very seriously. Here at the Brampton we offer you choices. The daily chef’s whim of a sweet and a savory option. This could be our signature buttermilk blueberry pancake, served with the real deal; maple syrup from our friends at Edgewood Farm in Bury, Quebec or a spinach and goat cheese frittata. We always have free-range eggs; your “style.” A side of hash browns, grits or sautéed fresh tomatoes with herbs from the garden when in season. Smoked bacon or local sausage, sometimes ham or homemade turkey sausage. There is always gluten-free oatmeal with raisins and toasted pecans or fat-free Greek yogurt with fresh fruit available. We also offer a spread in the afternoon. Carole bakes the most amazing treats such as cakes, bars, tea breads and cookies. These are offered alongside a savory choice, which could be finger sandwiches, cheese crackers or hummus and veggies. Everything is made right here in the inn kitchen. Come spring we’ll be planting vegetables and herbs anew.
- Privacy: An inn like the Brampton and most Select Registry properties offer enhanced privacy. We will leave you alone if you so wish! If you would like a breakfast delivered to your cottage, we’ll be happy to do so. If you would like your room tidied at a certain time, we’ll be happy to do so. If you don’t want to see anybody and just stay in, we’ll be happy to deliver fresh towels and leave them behind your door. You can let us know ahead of time or during your visit. We’ll be happy to do what it takes to make your visit the perfect getaway. If you would like to interact with your innkeepers please read on:
- Personal Service. We are here for you! Nobody in the lodging industry does this better than independent innkeepers such as members of Select Registry. Most owners live on the property or very close by. Michael and I have lived in this community for years (almost 28 to be exact) and raised kids here. We would love to share with you the history of Brampton, the best places to eat crabs, best sunsets, best bird watching, bike routes, where to park in Annapolis, quirky historic sights, Tallulah’s grave site, etc. If you need a recommendation for a restaurant or a reservation we’ll be happy to help. Please ask, email, call, in person; We’ll be delighted to share what we know.
- Romance: Select Registry innkeepers know a thing or two about offering a romantic setting to their guests. We offer romance packages with flowers and chocolates and we have organized seamless proposals and romantic honeymoons. We know about comfortable beds, good linens, working fireplaces, showers with body jets and steam, soaking tubs for two, and privacy. We love setting the stage for unforgettable memories.
- Great Value. At the Brampton we provide you with complimentary internet service, comfortable beds with fine linens, in-room robes, towel warmers, fine teas and coffee, and endless jars of home-made cookies, gluten-free ones on request. Did you forget your toothbrush or shaving kit at home? It’s OK! We have a complimentary hospitality kit for you that includes all that. Our breakfast alone will sustain you until the afternoon and teatime, making lunch unnecessary. Rest assured, as a member of Select Registry, we offer an extra-ordinary ambiance, unconditional hospitality and exceptional value.